Formatting a flash drive is the same as formatting any other hard drive, this blog post will help you do that.
If you’re using Windows (this includes Windows XP, Vista, and 7), here’s how to format a USB flash drive:
1. Insert flash drive into your computer.
2. Go to Computer > or My Computer > in the start menu on the lower left of your screen.
3. You’ll see a list of all hard drives on your computer, including the flash drive you inserted. Right click on the flash drive.
4. Select Format… from the menu that popped up when you right clicked.
5. The formatting menu will appear, you can leave all options on their defaults and click the Start button at the bottom of the pop-up menu.
6. Another window will pop up asking if you’re sure you want to format (because all data on the drive will be erased). Click yes, and your drive will be formatted.
In the next post we’ll get into some of the formatting options, such as allocation unit size and file systems such as FAT, NTFS, and exFAT.